Adults Abused as Children
Adults abused as children are the grown up survivors of child abuse. They come from all races, religions and socio-economic groups.
They have experienced:
Years later there may still be problems such as:
- Physical abuse….beating, shaking, shoving, kicking, bruising, burning , choking.
- Emotional abuse….yelling, criticizing, threatening, ridiculing, failing to provide guidance and love
- Sexual abuse….indecent exposure, sexual touching, fondling, sexual intercourse. Boys as well as girls are sexually abused.
- Feelings of isolation
- Troubled relationships
- Self-destructive behaviour
- Lack of direction or motivation
- Problems raising children:
- Some cannot cope with the stress of raising children
- Some cannot feel close to their children, although they would like to.
- Some abuse their children
Adults abused as children may experience the following:
- Low self esteem
- Violent or destructive acts
- Drug or alcohol abuse
- Troubled marriages
- Problems at work
- Thoughts of suicide
- Eating disorders
- Sexual problems
- Sleeping problems
- General anxiety
is never too late to get help...treatment is available and adults abused as
children CAN have a happier life.